Saturday, January 16, 2016

Spirit Beauty: Sample Reviews

Hello, all, I'm back with more sample reviews to share! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Today we'll talk about Spirit Beauty Lounge! Their policy on what products they allow in their inventory is as follows: "1. Product packaging is 100% biodegradable, reusable or recyclable – Making landfill is unacceptable. 2. Product is not tested on animals. 3. Product does not contain animal ingredients and is cruelty-free. **Some exceptions, e.g. humane organic milk, beeswax." & 4. They have to pass an ingredient test - read more about their policy here. Let's move on to their sample program:

Photo from Spirit Beauty Lounge

Program: 6 samples for $25 {+ free shipping, but samples are sized rather small in my opinion}

Popular brands offered: Kjaer Weis, Tata Harper, Ilia Beauty, Alima Pure, RMS Beauty, Vapour Organic Beauty {see previous blog for brand review}, & W3LL People just to name a few! Their product selection is incredible.

Products sampled: 
  • 1Ilia Beauty Vivid Foundation in F3 {$44}: 
    • + I have not heard all that much about this product within the green beauty community, but I'm not sure why. I was pretty blown away by this foundation's coverage, a true medium to full coverage and it was very easy to build up without appearing cakey. 
    • + Creamy, whipped formula that was a little thicker than I expected, but it still blended well with a foundation brush {I used an angled kabuki brush from bare minerals} I recommend applying this in sections so that the product doesn't dry or set too quickly. 
    • + Gorgeous finish that was more on the matte side, so this would be great for oily or normal skin types. I have combination skin I'm oily in my t-zone but I get dry on my cheeks and chin, and it worked well for me! 
    • +  I didn't notice that the product caked on dry areas, and it looked just as good by the end of the day
    • - Very strong fragrance to it, this caught me off guard, and while the scent did fade it still may be too much for some. 
    • - This foundation was definitely one you knew you were wearing, it wasn't extremely heavy but it also wasn't lightweight. Application with a beauty blender reduced the heaviness some, though! 
    • Purchase full-size? Had I not tried the NU Evolution foundation I reviewed in my previous post & the Kjaer Weis I review below, I would've purchased this simply for its coverage but due to the heaviness and scent I preferred both the KW and the NU Evolution! 
  • 2. Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation in Silken {$68 first purchase, refill pans are $40}
    • + I was afraid I would love this foundation, and I do
    • + Incredible buildable coverage, from a sheer coverage up to impressive full coverage
    • + A small amount goes a long way, very opaque
    • + It could easily double as a full-coverage concealer, this product covered redness and blemishes extremely well 
    • + The product melted into the skin and felt extremely lightweight for its great coverage
    • + Note: It has a thick, creamy consistency that takes a while to get used to. I would suggest application with a flat foundation brush or use your fingertips initially and then blend with a brush/beauty blender. Also, moisturize your skin extremely well before application {I used argan oil, as usual, and it worked well}
    • - Very expensive initial cost but the refill pans are $40 which isn't bad at all for the quality of this product
    • - I had no issue with any breakouts from the product, but if you have a sensitivity to coconut oil, I have read that this foundation can cause some to experience breakouts
    • Purchase full-size? Yes because I absolutely loved this product, but I'm going to wait a few months when the weather has warmed up! 
  • 3. RMS Beauty "Un" Cover-up in 22 {$36}
    • + I'll be honest, this product did not impress me in the least as a concealer, but I tried it as a foundation and it's so gorgeous. 
    • + The product is a light to medium coverage that is extremely easy to blend {I applied with my fingertips with ease}
    • + Creamy consistency that melts into the skin when warmed
    • + Glowing finish, but not too dewy, I found this product to be very moisturizing
    • + Great price point in that a little goes a long way
    • - Did not cover active blemishes very well
    • - When used as an under eye concealer, I found it too creamy and my mascara transferred very quickly {pet peeve} 
    • Purchase full-size? Yes, I would love to have this product in my makeup collection for days I desire a lighter coverage {I preferred this over all other light to medium green foundations I've tried thus far}
  • 4. RMS Beauty "Un" Powder {$34}
    • + This truly is a fantastic powder. I don't use powder very often, but I had heard so much about this product I decided to sample it. It did a great job at minimizing shine {t-zone}, and I noticed a slight minimization of pore size 
    • - In my opinion this is a bit pricey, but it is a 9g container which should last quite a while 
    • + Silk Naturals offers a popular powder I'm going to try soon that's only $12... so keep a look out for that review as an alternative 
    • Purchase full-size? If I don't enjoy the Silk Naturals powder when I try it, yes!
  • 5. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek in Illusive {$36}
    • + This shade... absolutely gorgeous. A "burnt rose hue with a hint of plum" is such an accurate description. 
    • + Matte finish that still seemed to provide a very natural soft glow and felt moisturizing
    • + Wonderful, long lasting product on both the cheeks and lips
    • + A small amount went a long way, this product is very pigmented so the tiniest amount provided a very nice color on the cheeks
    • + Extremely blendable, and the product has an incredibly silky texture 
    • - Lip color was opaque, but would need to be touched up some throughout the day {not as often as the Tata Harper below, but still isn't as long-lasting as a lipstick or stain}
    • Purchase full-size? Yes, it's a bit pricey but the product is so pigmented it would last a long time, and this product comes in 8 gorgeous shades
  • 6. Tata Harper Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint in Sweet {$35} 
    • + Layers and blends wonderfully w/ a soft and creamy consistency
    • + Delicious fruity smell! 
    • +  Gorgeous soft pink color with a touch of peach that had a strong pigmentation similar to the RMS a little went a long way 
    • + 7 different shades currently available on their home website, but only 3 are available at Spirit Beauty Lounge
    • + The cheek color lasted all day beautifully, but...
    • - The lip color didn't last long at all, it was gone with the first drink of water
    • - I didn't notice any volumizing effects
    • - Something within the product caused small bumps on my cheeks, I tried it on two separate occasions just to be sure, so sadly it didn't work for me 
    • Purchase full-size? No because I thought, overall, the RMS lip2cheek was a better product, they're nearly the exact same price, and the RMS didn't cause any reaction. 

That's it everyone! I hope you all have enjoyed another in-depth review, and if you haven't already done so, please visit my YouTube channel here, and subscribe! Many more videos are on their way, including a Silk Naturals haul video which will be live tomorrow evening, and a huge foundation comparison video sometime within the next week! As I said in my previous post, I recommend sampling products before purchasing full-sizes, and as you've seen Spirit Beauty Lounge and Aurora Beauty offer great options. Citrine Natural Beauty Bar offers a great sample program similar to Aurora 5 samples for $15, and you must call them to request this program as they don't offer it online. 

Stay beautiful. 
xoxo, Holly 




3 comments :

  1. I've been enjoying reading your blog because I know next to nothing about make up! :) I actually just came across an organic company today on Twitter called Petal and Post, have you heard of them?
    http://petalandpost.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia!! First of all, I miss you so, so much! Thank you for reading love, I've been following along with your blog and gorgeous photos as well. Yes, I have heard of them! I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but they're definitely on my radar. Hope you're enjoying learning a little bit about makeup. Love you tons, xoxo!

      Delete
    2. Miss you too! I have been learning a lot! I just need to figure out how to wear it well haha. Love you! <3

      Delete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink