Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Think Dirty


There are a TON of other green beauty bloggers out there, and everyone seems to love this amazing app, called Think Dirtyfound on both the App Store and Google Play! Its founder, Lily Tse, was influenced to take a closer look at the ingredients in products she (and we) use daily due to her family's history of cancer.

This app rates cosmetic and skincare products on a scale from 0 to 10, with 0 being the absolute cleanest a product can be, and 10 being, well, just plain dirty. The rating is based on levels of numerous toxins within products broken down into three categories: carcinogenic toxins, developmental & reproductive toxins, and allergies & immunotoxins. It is so informative, and a great app for anyone either beginning or furthering their transition to cleaner beauty! Read more to find out how the app works, and how to begin your transition to cleaner beauty.

A few of the many products I've rated since using the app!

How it works: 
  1. Scan a product you own (or one you're thinking of purchasing) using its barcode or search for the product by name/brand
  2. The product's rating will appear along with a color code in coordination with the rating (green means it's clean, red means it's full of toxins!) 
  3. Click on the product, and you'll find a detailed "Dirty meter," which illustrates what category and level of toxins are in the product. There is also an ingredients tab which lists each ingredient and rates them on the 0-10 scale.
  4. You can like the product to save for later viewing or you can click the shopping link and purchase it!
  5. The app also allows you to add items to your "bathroom shelf" so you can have a clear view of your current products' overall rating. 
This app is a brilliant way to begin the transition to using cleaner products. Personally, when I downloaded the app, I began frantically scanning any and everything I owned (it's kinda fun, trust me), and any product above a 6 rating, I put aside to replace as soon as I could. My goal is to eventually use only products at a rating of 4 or lower. I decided I would replace my foundation first since it was something I wore on my skin all day, every day. At the time, I was using "Born This Way" by Too Faced which isn't found in the app, but their foundation powder has a rating of 10 - yikes - so I figured the liquid foundation probably wasn't much lower. See my previous post & read my review on the 100 Percent Pure foundation (above in the 0-3 section) I've been using instead.

You can also check out the EWG - EWG Skin Deep - organization. They've done extensive work and research into products and ingredients, and they are also a very helpful tool for any clean beauty lover! Their website is amazing, and I use that often if I'm on my laptop researching. They also have an app, but I prefer the Think Dirty app because I feel that it provides more overall information on each product and I enjoy the ability to like and shop for products as well as add them to your shelf. Compare the two and let me know what you think! 

I've replaced a ton of products already, and, actually, I'm almost ashamed to say how many dirty products I had in my beauty wardrobe initially (thankfully the number is steadily decreasing)! For any newbie entering the world of clean beauty, I highly recommend starting with the app! It can feel overwhelming in the beginning, but that's what blogs like these are for! There are a ton of green and organic beauty blogs so read all the product reviews your heart desires, look up green beauty accounts on Youtube, and get ideas from these blogs of what to buy or not to buy. Also, I highly recommend purchasing samples before you buy full-size items. Spirit Beauty Lounge is one of the numerous online conscious beauty stores I've found that offer custom sample kits! In a later post, I'm going to review Vapour Beauty, one of the brands they carry, so stay tuned.

Stay beautiful. 
xoxo, Holly 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink