Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Beginning

Well, here goes nothing. My first post in the huge world of blogging. 

First off, hello, I'm Holly. I'm 22 years old, and I began the journey into a greener lifestyle about three years ago. At the time, I began by researching and reading more about conventional food and what was actually in the products I ate every day. I quickly realized I was completely unaware of the amount of toxic chemicals, carcinogens, and hormone disruptors found within them. This led me to transition to a lifestyle in which my choices regarding what I put into my body drastically changed. I began (slowly) purchasing organic and/or non-GMO foods. It did not happen overnight, and trust me the prices can be a bit scary, but you'll discover a lot of products are around the same price (conventional vs. organic). I noticed a huge difference in my energy level when I began consuming more of an organic diet. I still don't eat organic 100% of the time, for my lifestyle and budget it isn't feasible, but I try to make at least 80% of my diet organic and/or non-GMO.

I feel healthier, I have more energy, my body seems to recover quickly, and so much more. I am not here to persuade anyone to eat a particular way, but I want every person who visits my blog to walk away curious. I want you to do your own research and decide for yourself if there are any changes you'd like to make. Personally, one of my hardest things to give up (I still struggle) was/is Starbucks. 


I am an avid and I mean avid coffee drinker. I think I post a picture of coffee at least 5 times a week on my snapchat story (Exhibit A seen above. I'm on the left with a venti in hand. Oops). My love for Starbucks was more like an extremely obvious obsession... until I stumbled across this article, written by the amazing Food Babe: 


I'll admit I was a little heartbroken, but it also opened my eyes to the fact that I, as a consumer, needed to be more aware of the ingredients within products I purchased. I began searching for an alternative to my beloved Starbucks, and luckily, I found a local organic coffee shop (here in Roanoke, VA) called Little Green Hive. If you're ever in the area, check them out! If there isn't a local organic coffee shop in your area, you can always purchase better quality beans or K-cups (Amazon has a great selection of organic and fair-trade coffee). 

Okay, I got super sidetracked with the topic of coffee, but hopefully, you learned something you didn't know!

As I mentioned on my home page, my venture into an organic/non-GMO lifestyle focused only on what I was consuming within my diet, and I eventually realized I should also be worried about the products I consumed via my skin's absorption. This led to my journey into organic beauty. Stay tuned if you want to follow along, and learn more about the amazing organic and natural skincare and makeup products out there. There are a TON of brands, and I plan to share these with you, provide product reviews, suggest other green bloggers, and share makeup tutorials within my blog. Post #2 coming soon.

Stay beautiful.
xoxo, Holly


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink